Hello! My name is Marcia Kennedy and I have worked with “children from hard places” for over twenty five years. I have a passion for children who have experienced a significant loss, foster care or adoption and the families that care for them. I also have a passion for helping children learn and removing barriers to their success. I believe people are important and we learn how to “do” relationships from our parents, grandparents, caregivers, teachers and other people who pour themselves into our lives. Unfortunately, sometimes the lessons learned in these relationships are full of sadness, fear, and feeling unsafe. Personally, I have been part of a military family for over twenty years and understand the challenges that brings .
I have seen firsthand how children who have emotional struggles have difficulty regulating their emotions and behavior, getting along in the classroom, with making friends, and simply getting along in the world; things most parents and kids take for granted. I want to give support, hope, and practical skills to address these issues. Drawing upon my own experiences and professional training I have the ability to help children, youth, individuals and families overcome difficulties and increase satisfaction and contentment. It is a privilege to be in such a valuable and worthwhile profession.
I am a Licensed Clinical Psychotherapist and a Licensed Specialist Clinical Social Worker. I regularly seek out professional development to deepen my knowledge and apply it to my practice.
- Education Specialist in School Psychology-Wichita State University, 2007
- Master of Social Work, Clinical Track-University of Oklahoma, 1998
- Master of Education in Educational Psychology-Wichita State University, 1997
- Bachelor of Social Work-Wichita State University, 1992
I hold additional training or certificates in the following:
- Advanced Certificate of Completion in Training for Adoption Competency
- Trust Based Relational Intervention® (TBRI®) Practitioner
- Intermediate Theraplay® Practitioner
- Somatic Experiencing Level 1
- Certified Play Therapist
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Trainer of Sunshine Circles (via Theraplay®)
- Functional Behavior Assessment and Intervention
- TIPS-MAPP (Foster/Adopt Preparation)